Closing down a representative office in Thailand

Closing down a Representative Office in Thailand is much easier than opening it, which requires a lot of documents supporting the application for a Foreign Business License. Here are the documents needed when closing down a representative office to be filed at the Department of Business Development.

  • A letter explaining the reason of closing down the representative office
  • The original foreign business license permitting the representative office operation
  • Power of attorney from the Representative Office Manager to the agent
  • Copy of ID card or passport of the Representative Office Manager
  • Copy of ID card of the agent
  • Government fee of Baht 1,000

After you submitted the above to the DBD for closing down the representative office, you will have to close the accounts and have them audited for the last time. The last accounting period ended on the day the DBD official received the above documents from you. Then you submit the following to the Accounts Inspector of DBD to inform them where you will keep all your accounts and their supporting documents of your past operation:

  • A cover letter to submit the accounts and supporting documents to the Accounts Inspector
  • A copy of Affidavit issued by the DBD that indicates that the Representative Office has been closed
  • Form Tor1, the copy of which was signed by a DBD official
  • Representative Office Manager’s ID card copy or passport copy

When you are closing down a representative office, you do not have to deal with VAT de-registration because as a representative office cannot earn income, it is not required to register in the VAT system.

Closing down a representative office is much more convenient if you have Thai Lawyers help you.