How to get long stay non-immigrant Visa to Thailand

It is possible for foreigners who will not work in Thailand (thus will not have Thai work permits) to have a long stay in the country. This special type of visa called Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) would be right for you. It is issued to foreigners who are 50 years or older. Upon arrival, holders of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. Employment of any kind is not allowed if you hold this Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay). (However, ThaiLawyers can help if you want to work in Thailand.)

To obtain Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) to Thailand, you will need to submit the visa application in the country where you are a resident or citizen. Here are the qualifications that you should have:

  • Being at least 50 years old (on the day of submitting the visa application).
  • Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country where you are a resident or citizen.
  • Not being a person prohibited from entering Thailand.
  • Not having prohibited diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug addiction, Elephantiasis and 3rd phase of Syphilis).
  • Having at least THB 800,000 in savings or THB 65,000 monthly income.

Required Documents:

  • Passport with at least 18 months validity.
  • 3 copies of completed visa application forms with 3 recent passport-sized photos (4×6 cm) taken within the previous 6 months.
  • Personal data form (available at the Thai Embassy/consulate.
  • A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of at least THB 800,000  or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of at least THB 65,000, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than THB 800,000 THB. (In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) needs to be shown as well.
  • A letter of verification stating that you have no criminal record issued from the country of residence or citizenship. (The verification shall be valid for no more than 3 months)
  • A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibited diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug addiction, Elephantiasis and 3rd phase of Syphilis) and the certificate is not older than 3 months.
  • In case you wish to have your spouse stay in Thailand too but the spouse is not qualified for this type of visa, your marriage certificate will enable your spouse to get a temporary stay under the Category “O” visa.

Please note that the letter of verification, medical certificate and marriage certificate as mentioned above must be notarized by notary public in your country. The Thai consular officer may ask for additional documents as deemed necessary.

Visa Fee: 5,000 THB for multiple entries.

Recommendations for the foreigners who enter Thailand with this visa:

  • At the end of the 90-day stay, the foreigners shall report to the Immigration Bureau and report again every 90 days with the immigration officer in their residence area, or report to the police station if there is no immigration control there.
  • At the end of the one-year stay, the foreigners who wish to extend their stay shall submit a request to extend the period of stay at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in Thailand, an income certificate or an income certificate plus a deposit account at the total amount of at least THB 800,000. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted upon the discretion of the immigration officer to foreigners as long as they meet the above requirements.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact