In general foreigners need to obtain a visa before entering Thailand. Today ThaiLawyers will talk about the countries whose citizens can get a visa on arrival at the Thai immigration checkpoints. However, foreigners wishing to travel to Thailand may also want to check out Thailand Visa Exemption for Foreigners, which gives information about the visa exempted countries whose citizens can enter Thailand without a visa.
Foreigners entering Thailand with a Visa on Arrival get a period of stay only 15 days. The visa on arrival can be obtained at one of Thailand immigration checkpoints by presenting the following documents:
- The application form; TM.88, filled out completely and attached with one recent photo (4 x 6 cm.).
- A passport valid for at least 6 months.
- A return air ticket usable within 15 days from date of entry.
- Showing at least Baht 10,000 per person and Baht 20,000 per family
- Visa on Arrival application fee of Baht 1,000
Below are the countries whose citizens can apply for Visas on Arrival:
- Saudi Arabia
- San Marino
The following are Immigration Checkpoints for issuing visas on arrival :
1. Suvarnabhumi Airport
2. Don Muang International Airport , Bangkok
3. Chiangmai International Airport , Chiangmai
4. Phuket International Airport , Phuket
5. Hatyai International Airport , Songkhla
6. U Tapao Airport , Rayong
7. Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
8. Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
9. Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
10. Betong Immigration Checkpoint , Yala
11. Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint , Songkhla
12. Samui Airport , Surat Thani
13. Sukhothai International Airport
14. Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok
15. Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint , Chonburi
16. Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint , Rayong
17. Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
18. Samui Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani
19. Phuket Immigration Checkpoint , Phuket
20. Satun Immigration Checkpoint , Satun
21. Krabi Immigration Checkpoint , Krabi
22. Songkhla Harbour Immigraion Checkpoint , Songkhla
23. Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
24. Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani
25. Tak Immigration Checkpoint
Note that extension of stay is not permitted except in special cases such as illness. Application for extension of stay can be submitted at the Office of Immigration Bureau in Bangkok or other provinces. In addition, the period of extension depends on the immigration official.
If the foreigners who entered Thailand with Visa on Arrival intend to work or stay in Thailand, they must apply for an appropriate visa such as non-immigrant visa or immigrant visa at a Thai embassy or consulate outside Thailand before entering into Thailand in order to submit the application for work or stay permit.
Contact ThaiLawyers for more information and consultation on getting a visa, work permit and permit of stay in Thailand.